Warning: We recommend not adjusting these settings unless you are a security expert or are under our Support supervision.
By default, this setting is off. VIPRE's Firewall Standard Mode will handle these settings automatically. You should only turn this setting on if you wish to manage Intrusion Detection Systems, manually, on your own.
Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) settings allow you to manage how VIPRE reacts to attempted hostile or unwanted behavior (internal or external) to the operating system and at access points to your computer. This hostile or unwanted behavior is monitored by an advanced set of identification rules provided by VIPRE Security and is maintained regularly through the definition updates.
The IDS rules are grouped by priority: low, medium, and high. You can set how intrusions under these priority levels are acted upon. You can also enable/disable a rule under each priority level, and log port scans. Once IDS is enabled, you can view the intrusions blocked by IDS on the Firewall Statistics screen.
To enable/disable IDS:
1. If Firewall Protection is off, IDS will be off. Navigate to Intrusion Detection Systems under Manage > Firewall.
2. Switch on Enable Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) to enable. Switch off to disable.
To modify an action for intrusions:
1. Navigate to Intrusion Detection Systems (Manage > Firewall).
2. Under a priority level that you want to modify, click its drop-down and select one of the following: Allow, Allow with Notify, Block, or Block with Notify. Changes will be saved automatically.
To enable/disable an IDS rule:
1. Click Manage Intrusion Rules under Intrusion Detection Systems (Manage > Firewall).
2. Under a priority level that you want to modify, check to enable or uncheck to disable rules.
To log port scans and view them:
1. Navigate to Intrusion Detection Systems(Manage > Firewall).
2. Select the Log port scans checkbox.
3. To view history for logged port scans, or a summary of intrusions blocked by IDS, click Intrusion History.